After finishing my last book, I had no idea what to read. I am never good at choosing books, so I usually ask other people for their suggestions. As I passed a classmate in the hallway one day, she suggested this book claiming that it was amazing. I figured, why not? I was already on my way to the library, and when I saw it on the rack I immediately picked it up and checked it out. I didn't really know what it was about, but after reading the blurb and beginning the book I became more interested. Edwards creates a couple who is pregnant, and surprised when they have twins. The husband is even more surprised that their second child is born with down syndrome. Fearing early death and suffering for the child, he tells the nurse to take her away, sending her to a better facility. I am fine with the decision to give her up since he felt they could not provide for her. Also, they didn't want to suffer and feel devastated if she died young. This is understandable. What I don't like, though, is that the husband lied to his wife. She was unconscious while giving birth, so she didn't know her daughter was born with a disability. Instead of telling her the truth, her husband claims, "Our little daughter died as she was born" (20). This really angered me because I feel that the wife has the right to know the truth. It also surprised me because it seemed as though they had a better relationship - not one based off lies. So far, I like this book, but sometimes it is overly descriptive. This can be too much to absorb and sometimes annoying. I am looking forward to seeing how things unfold, and I predict that she will eventually find out the truth about her daughter. I also predict that she will go on a search to find her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment