Coming off from a terrific summer reading book, I was craving another great book to read for school. A few of my classmates mentioned that they loved this book, so I immediately picked up a copy. I've only read about 130 pages, but I love the book so far. Along For the Ride isn't the type of book that leaves you hanging with suspense, or shocks you with something unexpected. Instead, it follows the life of a young girl, Auden, and how she deals with different situations. The story is extremely realistic, and it's a nice change to read this genre. Something that bothers me in the book, though, is the way Auden's parents behave. They are divorced, and entirely different from each other. Auden's mom only seems to be concerned with the education of her daughter. She doesn't appear to be interested in her daughter's happiness. Her father is not really much of a father after all. He has a new daughter, yet fails to be of any help to his new wife. She struggles and is exhausted, but he never offers his hand in help. It makes me wonder what Auden would be like if she grew up with different parents. When she receives a picture frame as a gift, the words "THE BEST OF TIMES" jump out at her. She immediately realizes "[Everyone] probably had a million pictures that belonged in this frame, but [she] didn't have a single one" (18). This made me sad. I feel bad for Auden and I hope that she becomes happier as the novel unfolds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment