Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Along For the Ride - Past Halfway Point

The more I read, the more I like this book. I find myself thinking about when I'll be able to read again. The beginning of the book was good, but not great. While I was reading the beginning, I'm sure it seemed great, but compared to the middle it's just okay. The story has picked up, becoming more interesting and dramatic. The main character, Auden is beginning to transition from a sheltered academic to a fun loving teen. Because of her parents' tight grip on her growing up, Auden missed out on alot of childhood experiences. She's never gone bowling, been in a food fight, and though she won't admit it, I don't think she's ever rode a bike! Luckily, she found Eli - someone who can help her complete experiences on her quest, one night at a time. Seeing as neither of them sleep much, they spend the nights together; doing things that are new for Auden. She soon finds herself falling for him, something she could never imagine herself doing with anyone. Previously, she claimed that she had nothing to put in her picture frame, no great memories. As she spends more time in Colby, that soon changes. When a photo of her and Eli is snapped after her first food fight, Auden finds herself thinking, "I already had a perfect place for it: a blue frame, a few words etched beneath. The best of times" (203). I'm happy that Auden is beginning to experience new things and change in a positive way, I'm just sad that she had to miss out on so much as a child. I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing how/if her relationship with Eli develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment