Thursday, November 12, 2009

Memory Keeper's Daughter. (2nd Quarter Begins Here)

I finally finished reading this book, and it was quite a struggle. I was not interested at all throughout the story, but I am not the type of person to drop a book without finishing it. I forced myself to finish and honestly, I'm glad that it is finally over. Besides the poor writing style, I was not a fan of the main character, Dr. David Henry. Although his intentions were for the best, he still lied to his family with possibly the most horrid lie they could imagine. He told his wife, Norah that their daughter died at birth, yet this was not the case. Their daughter was born with Down Syndrome, and David feared that his wife would struggle with a sick child as his mother struggled with his sick sister. Norah had to deal with the guilt of never holding her daughter, and she felt that she could never fully grieve for her. This lie could not be undone, and things began spiraling out of hand. David distanced himself from his family, which caused his son Paul to feel unloved. I think that David is selfish and should have owned up to his mistake from the very beginning. It bothered me to see how he essentially tore his family apart. I like Caroline, though, since she took their daughter and raised her as her own. She always looked out for Phoebe's best interests and that was very kind of her. This book is a realistic fiction novel and it deals with the struggles of families and what was accepted in earlier times. It has potential to be amazing but I don't suggest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment